Wednesday, January 27, 2010

That Little Green Bud




As a chef, I am always asked what is my favorite thing to cook, and I always reply "what is in season of course". The seasons are a gift that we often look over in our world of fast food and super markets. It has been beat into us by the food industry at an early age that boxed food and processed food saturated with hydrogenated fat is the best for us. Well I'm a man of variety and I'm here to celebrate each season with the excitement of the last. If you cook with the seasons, you will appreciate each season. It not only gives you something to look forward to having next year, but you will also be getting the best of each ingredient during its season when its flavor is the freshest. Seems like common sense I know..... Come on people, we got this!!!!! Every year I fall in love with the same vegetables all over again, and I love to cook them in different ways. Right now my passion is focused on the Brussels sprout. This little green bud of love has so many uses and is actually one vegetable that many people have trouble cooking. This week at Restaurant Tyler I have devised a menu with this guy as the star. The special appetizer will be a Gorgonzola and Brussels sprout salad with Red grapes and candied pecans. For the second course we have a Brussels sprout and crab bisque garnished with a fried Brussels sprout. For the entree I put together some rosemary and garlic sauteed Brussels sprouts paired with a lump crap meat stuffed Filet Mignon with a Muscadine butter sauce. Come share the love of the Brussels sprout with me this week at Restaurant Tyler.

2 comments:

  1. I had the Brussel Sprout bisque at Restaurant Tyler and it was Fantastic! I was very impressed by the preparation of this underappreciated little sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, perhaps I missed the link but I see no way to forward this to friends on the coast. They are Restaurant Tyler fans and huge Saints fans, and would love to see/read these postings. One of the friend's son is also a chef on the MS coast as well as an MSU grad.

    Let me know how I can forward these posts and perhaps your web site people can add a "forward" link.

    Dr. Kenneth Ramsey aka Dr. Dawg

    ReplyDelete