Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Valentines Day


For a chef, the holidays can be more about work than about family. This is due to the nature of the beast. There are two holidays that come to mind that I have always known I would not be able to have off, one being mother's day and the other being Valentine's day. On mother's day, I have always had to do something with my mother the day after. Sometimes just a phone call had to be sufficient. Valentine's day on the other hand, well lets just say, not so much! Nevertheless, for better or for worse I have always made it to work. Besides some minor personal dilemmas, I have always enjoyed this holiday. Anytime I can create a menu that surrounds passion I am all about it. Over the years I have infiltrated my menus with foods that have aphrodisiac qualities. Foods that are to be shared and experienced as a couple. Foods that will be talked about with each other, that may, in some subconscious way, spark a feeling of intimacy and joy of being in the company of the one you love. I believe that this holiday is more about sharing your love and devotion to another person than just by going through the standard act of giving flowers and a teddy bear in order to get the day over with. This is the belief and thought process that I go through in making every Valentine's menu. I want to make the menu so that when the guest eats the food, the flavors intertwine with them and their experience in the sharing process and devotion to one another. In this way, I feel a part of making something special, even if I'm in the dog house in my personal relationships. This year I came up with two separate menus, a him and her menu per se. Of course you can order off of each one, get the whole thing, or just parts of it. I will leave the amount of the experience up to you. If it were me, I would pick at least 2 things and share the dessert.

Restaurant Tyler
Happy Valentines Day
From The Land Menu

First Course
Braised Short Rib
Slow cook beef rib wrapped in mustard green, served with Muscadine braising liquid, and resting on a savory pancake
9-
Francis Coppola, Pinot Noir, California
8-
Second Course
Seared Lamb Chop Lolly Pop
Served on a ratatouille of seasonal vegetables covered in molten Taleggio cheese, and finished with veal reduction sauce
11-
Root 1: Cabernet Sauvignon, Colchagua Valley, Chili
11-
Entrée
Filet Mignon
Grilled beef tenderloin served with Parmesan cheese grits and topped with smoked pork belly, Gorgonzola, and red grape relish
28-
Forefathers, Cabernet Sauvignon, California
18-
Dessert
Chocolate Fondue
Bittersweet Chocolate served with Marshmallows, brownies, pretzels, and fresh strawberries
14-
$60- per person
With Wine $85- per person

Restaurant Tyler
Happy Valentine’s Day
From The Water Menu

First Course
Seared Ahi Tuna
Lobster salt-crusted sushi grade tuna loin seared rare, topped with sweet corn and roasted beet salad, served with Gorgonzola vinaigrette
12-
Mezzacorona, Pinot Grigio, Italy
5-
Second Course
Crab and Brussels Sprout Bisque
Velvet smooth crab bisque pureed with fresh Brussels sprouts and garnished with buttermilk battered fried Brussels sprout
9-
Spy Valley, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand
7-
Mid Course
Mango shrimp cocktail with mint cream
Entree
Rainbow Trout
Pan-roasted rainbow trout served served with local pecan almondine sauce, vegetables, and creamed grits
28-
Cakebread Cellars, Chardonnay, California
17-
Dessert
Chocolate Fondue
Bittersweet Chocolate served with Marshmallows, brownies, pretzels, and fresh strawberries
14-
$60- per person
With Wine $85- per person

No comments:

Post a Comment